Sunday, April 20, 2014

F-16 Combat Pilot #1 - Overview


My original C-64 Version from 1990

"F-16 Combat Pilot" was Digital Integrations fourth flight simulator and came out in 1989. I remember buying it from a Munich software shop when I was in the Army in 1990. 
"Fighter Pilot" was published in 1984 and started a long and successful line of combat flight simulations.

DI's Fighter Pilot from 1984

It was followed by "Tomahawk", a rather simplistic combat helicopter simulation in 1985 and "ATF: Advanced Tactical Fighter" in 1987, which I wouldn't call a real flight simulator. From all the predecessors I can only recall "Fighter Pilot". And that one mostly from the fact that you could edit the title screen with Koala Painter on your C-64.
After Combat Pilot DI hat some major hits in the flight sim community with "Tornado", "Apache" and "Hind". The last one I remember playing was "F/A-18 Superhornet". One of my absolut all-time favorites was and still is, of course "Tornado" (yes, that's on my list for possible candidates in the future).

According to MobyGames, the Project Leader was a "David Marshall", who I don't recall by name to be honest.

Let's take a closer look!


No download and a lousy PDF file ...

The 5,25" disk came with a 100 page manual, a quick cockpit overview, a keyboard card and some loading instructions. The manual is a translated into german (which wasn't a good sign in the 80's), but I have it in good memory. 100 pages wasn't that thick compared to those from Microprose. I will go more into detail of the manual later.

So, in the next step I will set up the sim in an emulator. Most of the time I will use DOSbox to play the DOS/EGA version, but I will also take a look at the C-64, the Amiga and the (!) ZX-Spectrum version.

cu
Jens



No comments:

Post a Comment